*Post updated at 2:00 PM, September 9, 2008 to reflect blogs we missed. Our next edition will include ONLY the top 25 blogs, but we wanted to keep all on the original list from this week.*
Here at Off the Map we’re always interested in what bloggers have to say about new technologies and services in GIS and on the GeoWeb. With our interest in cartography through the development of Maker!, we’ve broadened the categories beyond just GIS and GeoWeb blogs.
We decided to have a little fun and do a friendly ranking of some relevant blogs. The Top 25 Blogs in GIS, GeoWeb and Cartography will be ranked according to the number of sites/blogs linking to each, as reported by Technorati. If a blog does NOT have Technorati Authority (if they have not registered for example), then we’ll take the number of blog reactions listed and divide by 3 for an estimate.
We realize Technorati is not a perfect barometer, but it is open, and this is not a FortiusOne subjective ranking. We think this will be a great way to share blogs and get feedback from others regarding their top GIS, GeoWeb and cartography blog picks. We’ll note changes in rankings, new blogs and up and coming blogs.
If you’re on the list and feel so inclined, you’re welcome to place the following badge on your blog to share your ranking.
Our first ranking follows. We’ll be updating the list bi-weekly and note changes in ranking and inbound links. Since we’re only doing a Top 25 list, we’d like to give a shout out to some other great blogs out there such as Indiemaps and Cartogrammer. If there is another blog you feel should be included, please let us know!
- O’Reilly Radar Geo Blog 2,733 – overall O’Reilly (5 Blog reactions for Geo Blog)
- Strange Maps 1,895
- Google Earth Blog 950
- Google Maps Mania 553
- Ogle Earth 186
- All Points Blog (Directions Magazine) 176
- James Fee GIS Blog — Blogging GIS, Google Earth, Virtual Earth and Programming 156
- The Map Room: A weblog about maps 139
- The Beer Mapping Project 91
- Geobloggers 73
- Mapperz 72
- Very Spatial (Blog and Podcast) 66
- Bret Taylor’s Blog 64 (estimate based on 195 Blog Reactions)
- Mibazaar 61
- Dave Bouwman – GIS Blogs: Where’s the Conversation? 53
- Ed Parsons 52
- What is so special about Geospatial? 52
- Chris Spagnulo’s Geoscrum 51
- AnyGeo – Anything Geospatial 46
- Mandown 35
- The Earth Is Square 35
- Mapdango 34
- GIS Lounge 31
- Mapping Hacks 28
- Geography Matters – Est. 27 (based on 83 blog reactions)
- Geospatial Semantic Web 26
- Vector One 26
- Computing, GIS and Archeology in the UK 23
- GeoNames Blog 18
- GeoMusings 14
- Slashgeo 14
- Geocarta 12
- Webmapper 10
- Sean Gillies 10
- Indiemaps 8
- Cartogrammer 7
- Geography 2.0 2
Welcome to the Esri DC Development Center blog. We write about features of our work on big data analytics, open platforms, and open data, what is new and exciting in the Esri and community, and general industry thought leadership and discussions of geospatial data visualization and analysis.
Please explore what we're working on and let us know if you have any questions or ideas!
- Tile Layer
- Dataset from 'Czech cities and population' with a 10km buffer
- Aggregation of crime95 into zones
- Result of percent change in population against Dataset from 'Bus; underground and railway stops in London' with a 100m buffer
- Dataset from 'Bus; underground and railway stops in London' with a 100m buffer
- Merge of 'Military Installations, Ranges, and Training Areas Points' into 'Garcia Date Place of Enlistment'